The initial nucleus of Shiraz University was formed in 1946 with the establishment of the junior College of Health which aimed at training specialists in the Medical Sciences during a four year program. In 1949 this was transformed to a Medical College and shortly thereafter in 1953 the Namazi School of Nursing and in 1955 the Colleges of Agriculture and Arts and Sciences were established.
Shiraz University which, prior to the Islamic Revolution, was called Pahlavi University was founded in 1954 with the addition of the College of Engineering and College of Veterinary Medicine. Other units that were subsequently added were the Dental School in 1969, the Graduate School and the Junior College of Electronics in 1969, and the Colleges of Law and Education in 1977.
After the victory of the Islamic Revolution, Revolutionary Council was founded in 1980 and extensive fundamental changes were implemented at universities at large. These changes were also reflected in the context of Shiraz University which presently consists of 9 colleges and a junior college as follows: